21 June 2011

When you're strange

'When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange'

I don't know why, but I woke up singing this song. I first heard it watching the movie 'The Lost Boys'. I don't think most people know it anymore having in mind it's from 1987 and kind of a strange movie but hey I like it.

And then I started thinking of the lyrics because...well I had nothing to do on this glorious Tuesday morning but to think about it on my way to the supermarket. They played this song in one of the first scenes of the movie while the main characters drove in 'Santa Carla' and all kind of 'strange' people were shown.

But I thought of the lyrics and wondered if what The Doors are saying is true (beside the fact that the song might be about depression, bad LSD trip and nervousness...so I have read...feel free to convince me otherwise). I mean when you're strange no one remembers your name? I thought it was the other way around. Look at Lady Gaga, anyone who doesn't know her? Being strange is what makes the cut these days. If you stand out, do funny things or shocking things or even act like an asshole then the tv world will find you and before you know it you become a star. Being strange is what counts. But of course there is a difference between strange and stttraaaangeeee. I think I'm strange but I don't stand out. Sometimes people look at me on the street cause I have a weird look on my face (cause I daydream all the time and have no idea how my face actually looks like when I do that, don't worry I ain't the kind of person who talks to herself...outside the house) but I doubt any of them is thinking 'wow she should be on tv to show her act.' I have met some strange people in my life and those people were just f...lunatics. But I still remember their names!

I think that if you're strange, weird, crazy, whatever, people are more likely to remember your name. Think about work, how many times have I not heard things like 'remember Mr. Bug? What a weirdo that guy was. He used to stuck pencils in his ears.' or 'Rita was shocked during teambuilding as she had never seen a cow in her life.'

Anyway if I would have to choose between strange and normal...well I guess you all know the answer to that.

And googling info about the movie I just found out that Corey Haim (whom I admired when I was a teen), passed away in 2010 at the age of 38 and from the looks of it he didn't have much of a great life. What a shame. RIP.

'People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down'



 

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, stranger. What are "f...lunatics"? Are you bleeping your own text now? Oh well, we know you were thinking of "fucking lunatics", right? There, I've said it. But tell me, how's life, Nig? I see you woke up singing that song. That's strange to begin with, wouldn't you say? I remember it all too clearly, and it was certainly a very strange movie. Not one that makes me smile, as it gave me the creeps AND the willies. But I guess that's what does it for you, so who am I to complain. I was just wondering, for I've never understood it in anyone--what's the fascination with vampires? I own a superdooperdelux edition of Dracula, one that's as thick as a phonebook, and I've read it and know chapter and verse, but I can't say I understand people's fascination for neck-biting individuals. I'm sure you can educate me on this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey randy, thank you for using the word 'fuck' wonderful word isn't it? wow my fascination about vamps?well i don't think i have enough room on this page so i'll either write an article about it or send you an email...on second thoughts i'll do both ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I look forward to it. Meanwhile, allow me to buy myself a suitably Draculaesque tuxedo and a set of matching teeth in case you make me see the (moon)light and I feel the pressing urge to bite someone. Always come prepared, right?
    http://rcbenglishclass.blogspot.com/2010/05/something-aboarddracula.html

    ReplyDelete