27 May 2011

Misery as inspiration?

I have been thinking about this the last couple of days. If I look at some of the best writers I know and I read about their personal lives, none of them have a 'my little pony' background.
Look at Edgar Allan Poe and his child-wife who crushed his heart when she died, Bram Stoker who had been in love with an actor who actually only loved himself, Lord Byron and his love affairs, Polidori and his Vampyre work, Mary Shelley, her and her husband's short lives, Shakespeare, the Bronte sisters and so many many more. If you read about their lives they seem to have had more pain than laughter. But then again you need misery, pain, heartbreaks to be able to write about them in detail right? If you want to move a reader you need to describe something in detail so that the reader that has also been through it, can say 'I know exactly how this feels' and the reader that has never been through it can say 'man, this is some heavy shit.'

My music teacher once told me that you can compose the most moving music when you are sad, depressed and hurt; when you are happy you have no care in the world. Look at Mozart's Don Giovanni and so many other componists, painters that make you cry only when you read about the 'misere' they had to go through.

But I guess we need all that crap in our lives. We need crap to be able to write about it and use it in our lives, music, writings, plays, you name it. If I had never been heartbroken I wouldn't have been able to write about a character that is going through the same thing, if I had never had the experience of total desperation wanting to scratch my brain out and eat it up I wouldn't have been able to write about a character that has reached her limits.

Then again...there is a fine line between misery and insanity...a fine line that I think I might have crossed a long time ago...Don't worry I haven't had such a miserable life (maybe that's the conclusion you have made). I am just a person like everyone else: completely and absolutely mentally insane.

4 comments:

  1. Am I to conclude that - since I'm a member of "everyone else" - I, too, am absolutely (mind your spelling, dear) mentally insane? So my mom is right? Well, that'll cheer her up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You need to check your clock. I sent the previous comment at 16:24, not 7:24... I was fast asleep in Lalaland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalaland?Never been there. Thank you I quickly corrected it. Well...I don't know what to say, I can either say you're insane or that you're not everyone else...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done my homework. It's 2:20 AM now. Hope you like it. I need to find my bed, so I'm off.
    --Greetings from Not-Everyone-Else.

    ReplyDelete